Simply, defining Linux is a commonly used operating system that integrates with software of device. Officially referred as GNU/ LINUX. It is a developed version of UNIX. Generally, it is used as an alternative for windows. Arch Linux, fedora, Kali Linux are some of the popular Linux.
HISTORY OF LINUX
Linux was an idea of a Finnish student Linus Torvalds which was created in the year 1991. Initially it was a personal project to create a new free operating system through kernel at university of Helsinki. It was an attempt to create an open source which needs to be alternative to the proprietary Unix system. The earlier version of Linux was not so customization so, they were only used by the computer programmers. Later with the next version it became more users friendly. It was a freedom and must be allowed to grow so, for the advancement of this in 2000 Linux foundation was formed which work for the sponsorship and development of the community.
LINUX VS UNIX
Looking over the history we can understand that Linux and Unix are directly related to each other. Diving though its factors we can find out its relationships. Linux refers to family of derived distributions whereas Unix is known as the family of derived operating system. From the user perspective and experience both the community have been matured over the few decades. Vivid advancement onto the Linux had been adopted through the Unix world. Also various GNU utilities were made available for the Unix system via Linux. As far for the comparison Linux is more flexible than the Unix. Both integrate with different distribution of command lines. They are similar but not the same. Linux is often known as Unix clone. But still Linux had been apple of the eyes because of its quick bug fixes.
In the era where Window’s had dragged majority of attention introducing Linux is a long way of explanation. But you will be amazed to know even Microsoft is bringing kernel used in Linux into windows. Stating about “kernel” it is the foundation of OS. Here is the list of some major things to choose Linux over other OS.
- SIMPLICITY– Linux is comprised of various word processor, video editor, photo editor, and much more. It’s really a fascinating concept and easy to use.
- OPEN SOURCE -Getting into its choice it is easily approachable to the enthusiastic brain for coding, customization, editing and much more with just some exceptions due to which creating a virtual desktop is much easier. It is FREE OF COST which gives freedom of choice to find out the best version of Linux that works for you and also you can install the OS on the unlimited number of computers.
- SECURITY– It is secured and virus free. It gives quick response and due to which it is used in web servers, games and web applications. The phones and tablets we are grabbing in our hands also runs on Linux.
- PORTABILITY-You can just carry it on the pen drive or any storage device and load over any supportive device you want. Wherever you go packing your OS is not a problem now. Besides you can monitor every information moving too because of transparency factor. All you need here is limitless imagination and proficiency.
GETTING STARTED WITH LINUX:
As stated earlier knowingly or unknowingly you have already been the part of the Linux family while grabbing phones, tablets, wearable, and much more. But if you love the way how Linux is installing it on your device is not a big deal at all. Being an open source there are various distributions available. You need to choose it as per your preference. There is a large user community to recommend the best if you get stuck to it. While getting started you can prefer Ubuntu-Linux as it is designed for ready to roll out of the box. Besides fedora, mint, elementary OS are also very good options. You can even buy a system 76 or purism where you can find Linux already installed.
- Download ISO File from Linux Website.
2. Select the Linux distribution which you want to download.
3. Here I choose to download Ubuntu distribution.
4. Now, Download and install free software like the Universal USB installer. Universal USB installer is use for making Bootable Pendrive and to Install different ISO File.
5.Select an Ubuntu distribution from the drop down to install it on USB. Then select Ubuntu ISO file download and then the drive letter of USB to install Ubuntu and press out the create button.
6. Click yes to install in USB.
7. After the complete Installation, now you are Good to Go.Your USB device to ready to Install Ubuntu on your System.
8. Now Use Your Bootable Pen drive to Install Ubuntu. After this steps you can Follow Steps From Here: Prepare to Install Ubuntu.
WHY SHOULD YOU SWITCH TO LINUX?
About 90% of market share of desktop computer is occupied by windows. Even we are habituated with its behaviors. Probably because it comes as default OS in our PC we don’t think to consider over other alternatives.
But Linux is really a better alternative for windows. Aren’t it amazing to have an android studio IDE and an android simulator running on windows machine? Besides, its security is much better than that of the windows. You don’t need to fear about virus or malicious attacks over here because it consists of large community to deal with bug fixing issues. With Linux you can easily be IN without the passwords which show its capability to maintain the servers. The future is not too far where all the chrome books will run on the Linux. Even today Linux had been most popular OS for IOT. Switching to Linux will also lift up the speed of your PC. Basically the improvements and dedication of large community shows Linux as a better choice. So, concluding switching to Linux will be one of the smart decisions at this point of time because it has proved itself as better OS for most of the perspectives.
Also Read: 5 Google Tricks you love to try